Old Street station 'Tube rescuer' dies helping brother

Scene outside Old Street Station Emergency services were called to Old Street Station at 00:22 GMT on Sunday

A man has died after being hit by a Tube train while attempting to rescue his younger brother who fell on to the tracks.

The 35-year-old, from London, was found at Old Street Station after police were called at 00:22 GMT on Sunday.

His 32-year-old brother from Manchester, who is thought to have accidentally fallen on to the tracks, is in a critical condition in hospital.

British Transport Police has described the man's death as a "tragic accident".

The names of the men have not been released. Officers are not treating the incident as suspicious.

Scene outside Old Street Station The 35-year-old man died later on Sunday after being taken to the Royal Free Hospital

London Ambulance Service said the man from Manchester had suffered multiple injuries.

'He slipped'

Matthew Pabon, a consultant from Clapham Junction, told the BBC he was waiting on the platform on his way home from Shoreditch when he saw one of the men "jumping really close to the line".

"I was really close, on the same platform in front of them. Just waiting for the Tube," he said.

"One of them was jumping really close to the line and then he slipped on to the tracks.

"Before it happened I was really worried the man might fall.

Matthew Pabon Matthew Pabon was waiting for a train when he saw the "shocking" events unfold

"The train was just seconds from coming. That was what stopped me from trying to help. I froze."

"The guy who was trying to save him was on the edge of the platform trying to pick him up with his hands but it was too late, the train came 20 seconds later," Mr Pabon said.

Another witness, Robert Brown, said: "I'm a trainee accountant and I'm 24. Thirty-five is no age to die."

Mr Brown, who is originally from Manchester but now lives in east London, had been out for dinner in Shoreditch celebrating a friend's birthday and was catching the last Tube home.

He said: "I saw the train approaching from a distance and then saw the person fall into the tracks."

The person he was with "instantly" tried to pull him up before the train arrived, Mr Brown said.

He said the "rescuer" was then thrown back on to the platform from the impact.

"People tried to approach him and there were screams. Pretty much every girl was crying and I just stood there head in hands," Mr Brown said.

The injured men were treated by paramedics at the station and taken to the Royal Free Hospital, where the 35-year-old died later on Sunday.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC London