'Tortured Teenager' murder: Alan Livesey's death reviewed by police

Margaret Livesey Margaret Livesey was convicted of murdering her son Alan at their home in Bamber Bridge

A review of forensic evidence in the murder of a Lancashire schoolboy 37 years ago is under way by police.

Alan Livesey, 14, was found bound and stabbed at his home in The Crescent, Bamber Bridge, in February 1979.

The teenager's mother, Margaret Livesey, was found guilty of his murder in what became known as "The Case of the Tortured Teenager", but doubts over her conviction have remained since.

Police say they may investigate further once the forensic review is completed.

Mrs Livesey died of cancer in 2001 aged 64, but her family have continued to campaign for the case to be re-opened.

Alan Livesey An artist's impression of how Alan Livesey's body was found. Red football socks had been placed around his neck and he was wearing his army cadet uniform

Det Ch Insp Dean Holden of Lancashire Constabulary said: "We are conducting an initial forensic review and will evaluate the extent of any potential future enquiries once that forensic review is complete."

In a police interview shortly after her arrest, Mrs Livesey confessed to murdering her son.

The Lancashire Evening Post reported she told officers: "I saw a little kitchen knife and picked it up. I remember stabbing him a number of times.

"He fell to the floor and I stabbed him again in the throat. I was thinking: 'You bad little sod' all the time and I had completely lost control of myself."

Margaret Livesey Margaret Livesey died of throat cancer in 2001 aged 64, but called in her will for solicitors to carry on fighting to prove her innocence

But, three days later, Mrs Livesey retracted her confession.

Her case was twice featured on the BBC's Rough Justice series, billed as "The Case of the Tortured Teenager".

Mrs Livesey was released from Styal Prison in Cheshire in 1989 on life parole and always protested her innocence.

She returned to Lancashire in November 2000 to live in sheltered accommodation in Walton-le-Dale, where she died four months later of throat cancer.

The Livesey family home The Livesey family home in Bamber Bridge where the body of schoolboy Alan was found in February 1979

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Lancashire