Ian Watkins: Misconduct case for two police officers

Ian Watkins Watkins was jailed for 29 years and told he must serve a further six on licence in 2013

Related Stories

Two detectives who worked on the Ian Watkins child abuse investigation have cases to answer for misconduct, a police watchdog has recommended.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission found the officers did not progress the investigation into the south Wales singer adequately.

They also failed to record decision-making and pursue all lines of inquiry.

Bedfordshire Police has accepted the record keeping recommendations.

Det Chf Supt Mark Lay said that the force will put a plan in place to address the issues raised by the IPCC.

The watchdog found that Bedfordshire Police did take immediate steps to investigate the Lostprophets singer from Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taff.

The unnamed officers, a detective constable and a supervising sergeant, provided written accounts but refused to answer questions when interviewed by IPCC investigators.

IPCC commissioner Jan Williams said: "Nothing was found by our investigation to say the force could definitely have prevented any offending, or contributed to bringing Ian Watkins to justice sooner.

"However, there were some more investigative steps detectives could have taken."

Ian Watkins Watkins was reported to authorities four times in the four years before he was arrested

It was concluded that neither officer has a case to answer in respect of Joanne Mjadzelics' complaint that they failed to protect an 18-month-old child.

The watchdog has an ongoing investigation into South Wales Police and South Yorkshire Police.

Watkins, 36, was reported to authorities four times in the four years before he was arrested.

Despite allegations he raped a child and wanted to father another to abuse, the former rock star was not interviewed.

The singer was jailed for 29 years last December after admitting a catalogue of serious sex offences involving children.

Two women who are the mothers of the children he abused were also jailed.

More on This Story

Related Stories

BBC South East Wales